Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Alaskan wilderness with this unique two-in-one adventure! Embark on an unforgettable journey through land and water, beginning with a thrilling Alaska Railroad tour and culminating with an exhilarating kayak excursion. Capture memories of a lifetime as you explore two faces of the majestic landscape of Alaska in a single day.
The Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour begins early in the morning at the Anchorage Railroad Depot. Here, you will board the Coastal Classic Train, which will take you on a scenic journey through the rugged Alaskan wilderness. As you travel, you can take in the breathtaking views from the comfort of the train's large windows.
Upon arriving at the Spencer Glacier, you will undergo a safety briefing and equipment fitting before embarking on your kayak adventure. Then, with an experienced local guide leading the way, you will paddle across the lake, weaving through massive icebergs on your way to the glacier. Once there, your guide will provide insight into the life cycle of the glacier and its importance to the ecosystem. You will also have the opportunity to explore the icy alien landscape, admiring the crystal clear pools, crevasses, and tall ice walls the glacier is known for. Finally, after a day of exploration, you can relax with a nice lunch by the ice-cold lake.
After several hours of exploring the majestic Spencer Glacier, you'll kayak back to the shore, return your equipment, and board the Glacier Discovery Train for a breathtaking journey to Portage. Relax in the warm cabin and admire the stunning views that have earned this the best Alaska railroad tour title. Upon arriving in Portage, make sure to collect all your belongings before boarding the motorcoach that will take you back to Anchorage, saving you hours of travel time so you can rest and be ready to embark on another one of our unique tours the next day!
Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview Train Tour Itinerary:
- 5:45 – 6:00 AM – Arrive at Anchorage Railroad Depot for check-in (tickets at Will Call)
- 6:45 AM – Coastal Classic Train departs Anchorage. Breakfast/coffee are available, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.
- 8:00 AM – Guides board train at the Girdwood stop
- 9:00 AM – Train arrives at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 9:00 – 9:30 AM – Safety briefing and paddle instruction with your professional kayak guides
- 9:30 – 1:30 PM – Guided Spencer Lake kayaking around icebergs to Spencer Glacier, followed by a short hike to the 'Blue Wall' and then lunch.
- 1:55 – 5:15 PM – Glacier Discovery train ride to the stunning Grandview
- 5:15 PM – Train arrives in Portage, disembark to board motorcoach bus
- 6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage via motorcoach
Please note: This tour can depart from Girdwood or Anchorage, so when contacting our reservations team, please indicate where you will be departing from.